[nama] Comingling opportunity and progress update

  • From: Joel Roth <joelz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 22:00:11 -1000

Audacity developers have got a plugin that offers some
equivalent of Ecasound's ECI: you can send text commands
over a pipe to Audacity and get text responses.
Only some commands are supported.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Scripting

I was excited to hear them mention Perl (more than once!)
however the scripting itself is text based and
is not based on perl.

Allowing myself to fantasize,
I could imagine Nama recording, and slaving Audacity to
successively load and display the recorded audio files.
Anyway, good to hear that others are having good
ideas.

For now, the 'edit_waveform' command lets Nama users invoke Audacity to
edit a file as needed.

In other news, Nama's new 'singleton' branch can re-generate
its effects cache, start a new project with default tracks.

This is amazing, since it involved replacing variable
names as well as some semantic alterations.

Now, when the config file is read, the target variables names
are mapped to the new names.

For my TODO list is to work out kinks in manual
track routing, i.e.

nama> source sax # set the current track to receive the
signal from the 'sax' track

That's the source direction... what about the 'send'
direction?

Probably we could use the 'null' bus to assign tracks to
suppress the bus-related routing, for example of default
tracks to Master. Or maybe have an exclusive_send command
that both connects the track and reassigns the bus
affiliation.

cheers

--
Joel Roth