[nabga] New USBGA Website

  • From: "Mark Arnold" <marnold@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nabga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 23:01:14 -0500

List,

FYI, the USBGA Website is currently being rebuilt.  I am saddened to inform
those of you, including me, who utilize a screen-reader that the site is not
fully accessible.  I thought you would all like to read what I have passed on
to the new Webmaster.

Enjoy the cold weather,
Mark

Tina,

I am saddened to inform you that several aspects of the newly reconstructed
website are completely inaccessible to those of us who utilize adaptive
technology such as JAWS and Window Eyes.  You have failed to label graphics and
you are placing words on graphics that screen-readers will not pick up.  Worst
of all you are utilizing Quicktime which is an Apple software product that is a
pain to use, even for those of us who are well versed in adaptive technology.
The Introduction Video is completely unusable.  I am not picking on you,
moreover, I understand that you simply lack the web based engineering skills
needed to develop accessible websites.  I informed the Board that any sighted
user who manages the website must possess these abilities.  It is not your
fault that you do not have the proper training and knowledge to build such a
site.  Regardless, at this point, many aspects of the website are not fully
accessible.  Please find a way to address this.  I would also strongly urge you
to avoid using a Mac Computer and any other Apple Components.  Less than 10% of
all computer users prefer these tools.

Respectfully,
Mark Arnold
Restricted USBGA Member