[mysql-dde] Re: Erste technische Fragen.

  • From: Lenz Grimmer <lenz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Peter B. Volk" <peter.benjamin.volk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:15:07 +0100 (CET)

Hi Peter,

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Peter B. Volk wrote:

> hier die ersten technischen Fragen (natürlich gleich in englisch):
>
> 1.) Cluster Management and SQL extensions
>
> We would like to extend the SQL syntax for cluster management similar to the
> syntax already being implemented for NDB online node adding. Unfortunately I
> haven't found a syntax tree for the SQL syntax that will be used for this
> purpose. Since the syntax should be very similar to the syntax used for DDE
> it would be good if we could have a preliminary syntax tree version. Is there
> a way to get to it?

I will try to find the specification for that. But we might actually do this
via the NDB Managementnode, not the server directly - I have to ask.

> 2.) Extending the syntax of SQL
>
> Additionally to the cluster management extensions of the SQL syntax, which we
> would like to adapt from the NDB Cluster management, we will probably need
> further extensions not included in the NDB extensions. Is there documentation
> available that we can use with an easy "HOW TO" extend the SQL syntax?? We
> would exactly need to know witch classes we need to deal with and what we
> need to change or what we need to hack for our selves.

Unfortunately there is no "SQL extension HOWTO" yet :)

According to our developers, "it depends what you want to achieve". The central
file is sql_yacc.yy. Can you please elaborate on what exactly you want to add
to the syntax?

> 3.) Foreign keys implementation above the storage engines
>
> My first question to this topic is...how far along is it? Has the handler.h
> interface been changed yet? If yes what when will the internals documentation
> be changed? Does this implementation only include the foreign keys or does it
> also include unique constraints and/or range constrains or similar?

To my knowledge, work on this feature has not started yet. Again, I will ask
for more details.

It is planned to implement this in MySQL 5.2 - you can follow the development
of this version via BK: http://mysql.bkbits.net:8080/mysql-5.2

By the way, the BK website mentions a special academic licensing program. It
might be worth asking them for more details:
http://www.bitkeeper.com/Products.BK_Pro.FAQ.html

> If there are any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Also if the answers
> are a bit to long for eMails I'm always willing to talk in person!

Let me see what I can dig up.

Bye,
        LenZ
- --
 Lenz Grimmer <lenz@xxxxxxxxx>
 Community Relations Manager, EMEA
 MySQL GmbH, http://www.mysql.de/, Hamburg, Germany
 MySQL Users Conference 2006 (Santa Clara CA, 24-27 April) -
http://www.mysqluc.com/