[mysql-dde-private] Re: copyrights

  • From: "Peter B. Volk" <PeterB.Volk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <mysql-dde-private@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:53:27 +0200

> > Ok well my concerns are that the Idea it self is not protected.
Currently
> > any other company can claim rights for it. The idea is to patent the
Idea
> > protect t from other companies claiming it as their idea.
>
> Well, you're right. It could be very bad if we work on it, and other ones
> say it belong them. However, I don't know exactly how it works about
> international pattents. Do you know? Of course, if it works well, we'll
have
> to register it in name of both Fabricio Mota and Peter Volk.
>
> Tell me more about these points, if you know.

Well I don't know. Here in Dresden we have an office of the pattant office
and I'll see that I can get in touch with them next week. Also there are
several offices in the collage that will support students in these type of
questions. I'll see that I can get an apointment.

> > Also the question is starting to arise how we will hand this project
over
> > to MySQL. My suggestion would be the following:
> >
> > MySQL has two versions a community edition and a Network edition. The
> > community edition is free of use but prohibit the users to resell it
> > bundled
> > with another product. The network edition allows the license taker to
> > resell
> > it and also the network edition includes support from MySQL.
>
> Yes, I think the intuitive way is to go through the same way MySQL already
> works.
>
> > We could adopt this idea. We would provide MySQL with full rights for
> > their
> > community edition. If they want to include the engine into the network
> > edition we would have to sell them the appropriate rights and an annual
> > fee for support.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> That's a point we could think better along the development way. Of course,
> it includes to mantain a enterprise structure, and I still don't know how
> much it may cost to us, what the essencial requirements to maintain, etc.

Yes I agree that this should be thought about further down the road. I just
whanted to tell you about the idea.

Peter