[musictaco] Google ranking and keywords

  • From: m u <musictaco2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Musictaco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 11:38:34 -0700

Recently, Google changed their ranking algorithm to deter a certain type of
site known as a content farm in order to improve search results. You've
probably encountered some of these sites, where the content is subpar at
best, not very relevant to what you are searching for and does not provide
any value for you. This is because these site owners use practices like
keyword placement within their articles to rank for certain phrases.

One of the biggest flags that you are running a content farm is having
duplicate content, which can happen pretty easily when you are pulling
research from another article or source. My suggestion is to mix things up a
little bit, use a thesaurus or change the semantics of the sentence.

Tips to produce great content (in Google's eyes):
1. Quality: avoid misspelling, factual errors and out of date info
2. Originality: don't copy what people can get anywhere else, add something
of value to it
3. Authority: provide some expertise on the matter
4. Presentation: layout, graphics, visually pleasing and easy to consume

Familiarize yourself with keyword phrases and search engine optimization
(SEO) and integrate them into your articles. For example, if we have an
article on an indie rock band, use "indie rock" or "independent artist"
within the article so we can begin to capture some of the traffic for that
keyword, just make sure you aren't keyword stuffing; using synonyms and
related words can help make the content more relevant to search engines. For
example, if I had an article on guitars, I would talk about core components,
brands, techniques, etc. A keyword phrases effectively summarizing your
article should be included in the headline. See
http://www.seobook.com/how-craft-kick-ass-title-tags . Keywords should also
be placed in the link text when you are posting links to your articles
around the web.

If you have any questions or would like to learn more, please ask.

Resources:

Duplicate content checkers

http://www.google.com/search?q=duplicate+content+check&ie=utf-8&oe=utf8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=zDv&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&q=free+duplicate+content+check&aq=f&aqi=g-l3&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=53fd2b5286cafcf7