[muscle] Re: peer-to-peer help intro

  • From: "Jeremy Friesner" <jaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muscle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:53:20 PDT (-0700)

Hi Barry,

I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind -- MUSCLE doesn't have a ready-made
"peer-to-peer API", but it does have the tools to make it easier to construct a
peer-to-peer system.  Those tools include:

1) A central server (muscled) that can be used as a starting point... i.e. your
clients can log in to the server to find out the IP addresses of other
participating clients, and then use those IP addresses to contact the other
clients directly

2) A message thread class (MessageTransceiverThread) that hides most of the
networking details and lets you do peer-to-peer communication at a higher level
(i.e. sending and receiving Message objects instead of byte streams, thereby
avoiding the hassles of message fragmentation/reassembly, byte-gender, protocol
extension, and other common pitfalls)

3) Lower-level APIs such as the MessageIOGateway class and the simplified
networking API  functions in NetworkUtilityFunctions.cpp that let your code
handle the basic networking tasks directly if you prefer not to have a separate
I/O thread handle them on your behalf.

Let me know what it is you have in mind (i.e. what sort of application you want
to create, what operating system(s) you want it to run on, what programming
language(s) you want to write it in, etc) and I may be able to give you more
specific help.

As for examples, here are two:

BeShare -- a Napster style file sharing program for BeOS (includes source code)
   http://www.lcscanada.com/muscle/BeShareAndMuscle.html   (magazine article)
   http://www.lcscanada.com/jaf/beshare/index.html  (Web page)
   http://www.lcscanada.com/jaf/beshare/BeShare2.27.zip (source and BeOS
executables)

FoxRabbitCarrot -- a very simple multiplayer game written using Qt, so it runs
on Windows, Mac, and Linux.  The code is a bit out of date and the game isn't
all that much fun, but it should do for an example.
   http://www.osnews.com/story.php=3Fnews=5Fid=3D1523          (magazine
article)
   http://www.lcscanada.com/jaf/FRC1.00b=5Fsource.tar.gz  (source code)
   http://www.lcscanada.com/jaf/FRC1.00b=5FOSX.tar.gz     (MacOS/X build)