[muscle] Re: muscle + Qt + console apps

  • From: "Jeremy Friesner" <jaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muscle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:49:51 PDT (-0700)

Hey David,

If your program has no GUI at all (i.e. it's just running from the
command line or as a server), then perhaps you don't need to
have a separate thread=3F  You could just write your program
in the standard muscle-server model, and call AddNewConnectSession()
with a session object that represents your connection to the remote server.
Then muscle's ReflectServer::ServerProcessLoop() would handle everything,
and you could put your logic into your session subclass's
AsyncConnectCompleted(), MessageReceivedFromGateway(), and
ClientConnectionClosed() event
callback methods.  Having only a single thread would probably make your
program simpler, too.

Without a GUI, the only reason you would really need a separate thread
is if there is some blocking (or very time-consuming) operation that your
code needs to do, and you want that code to execute in a separate
thread so that it doesn't affect the responsiveness of the other operations
your program needs to do.  Let me know if that is the case -- if so, I can
post information about how to add to a ReflectServer a session that is an
interface to a sub-thread.

Jeremy

ps Regarding a "PThreadMessageTransceiverThread"... the
     MessageTransceiverThread class pretty much already is that,
     since it uses pthreads internally (if you define MUSCLE=5FUSE=5FPTHREADS).
     The only thing you might find wanting about it is its SignalOwner() method
--
     in the default MessageTransceiverThread class, SignalOwner() signals the
master