[muscle] Re: daemon

  • From: "Jeremy Friesner" <jaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muscle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 09:10:05 PDT (-0700)

> I work on windows XP
>
> I tried to run muscled as a daemon but i got the following error :=3D20
>
> [I 05/05 11:03:59] Spawning off a daemon-child...
> [C 05/05 11:03:59] Couldn't spawn daemon-child process!=3D20
>
> Doesn't this work on windows =3F

I'm afraid it doesn't.  :^(   See the comment in util/MiscUtilityFunctions.cpp
SpawnDaemonProcess() for details.  However, it may be a moot point
since IIRC, Windows detaches processes from their shell by default anyway.
So when you run muscled, you get your shell prompt back immediately in
any case -- which is the same effect that the "daemon" argument provides
on other operating systems.  (Let me know if I am wrong about that ... I
don't have a Windows box in front of me to test on at the moment).

Note that a useful argument under Windows is "console", which will
cause muscled (or any program that calls HandleStandardDaemonArgs())
to open up a debug console window so that you can see the program's
stdout output.  That argument is only used under Windows, and it opposites
as sort of the opposite of "daemon".