[muscle] Re: Win32 port of MUSCLE server and client

  • From: Jeremy Friesner <jaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Cui, Fanzhe" <fanzhe.cui@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:12:29 -0700

On Monday 11 July 2005 12:58, Cui, Fanzhe wrote:
> That's great! If you like to include the MS VC++ project file, I can
> forward it to you.

Yes, please send it to me, then I can include it in the tests folder.

> Do you have any idea how I should test cliet to cliet communication in
> the local host through the server? If you have any pointer, it would be
> very helpful.

The way I would do it is:

1) Compile and run muscled on my computer
2) Run two copies of the client program, and have them both connect to the
server (i.e. to "localhost" or "127.0.0.1"0
3) Have each client print out any Messages it receives from the server, via
msg()->PrintToStream()
4) Have one client send a Message to the server.  (The server's default
behavior for any Message that has a 'what' code other than any of the
PR_COMMAND_* values is to simply forward a copy of that Message to all the
other connected clients)
5) So, immediately after client A sent the Message to the server, you should
see client B receive a copy of that Message and print it out.

You can also try it with three or more clients if you want... whenever any of
the clients sends a Message, all the others will print out the Message.  If
you want the server to only send the Message to some of the other clients,
and not all of them, you can limit its distribution by adding a PR_NAME_KEYS
string field to the Message to tell the server where to foward the Message
to... see the documentation for details.

-Jeremy