[muscle] Re: Win32 port of MUSCLE server and client

  • From: Jeremy Friesner <jaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muscle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:12:20 -0700

Hi Fanz,

I agree that a win32 example client would be useful.  So I wrote up a very
simple one and posted it here:

http://www.lcscanada.com/muscle/win32example.zip

I compiled this example using the free version of Borland C++, since that is
the only Windows compiler I have installed.  You will probably need to supply
an equivalent makefile/project file if you are using a different compiler.
(The included Makefile, Makefile.win32client.borland, expects to be placed in
the muscle/tests folder, along with win32client.cpp, FWIW)

The program itself is a simple command line/text-only app.  It uses the
Win32MessageTransceiverThread class to do the following:

1) Connect to a muscled server
2) Listen for Messages (and other events) that are received from the muscled
server and print them to stdout
3) Once a second, it will send a PR_COMMAND_GETPARAMETERS Message to the
muscled server.  (The server will respond with a PR_RESULT_PARAMETERS
Message... this is what you will see printed in the output once a second)

You can run it with no argument from the command line, and it will try to
connect to a muscled server running on localhost.  Or you can supply it with
the hostname and/or port of a muscled server on another computer, like this:

win32client beshare.tycomsystems.com 2960

or just

win32client beshare.tycomsystems.com

The app will quite when you control-C it, or when the TCP connection to the
server has been broken (i.e. when the main() thread gets a
MTT_EVENT_SESSION_DISCONNECTED event)

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

-Jeremy