[muscle] Re: Session ID

  • From: Jeremy Friesner <jaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muscle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:16:33 -0700

Hi Stephane,

I'm not sure what you are asking here.  Can you restate your question?

(if you are asking about how a client can find out what his session ID is on
the server... that is easy, just send a PR_COMMAND_GETPARAMETERS Message to
the server, and you will get back a PR_RESULT_PARAMETERS Message that
contains a string field PR_NAME_SESSION_ROOT (aka "!Root") that contains your
client's session ID.

(or, if you are asking whether a muscle client can choose his own session ID
when he logs into the muscle server, the answer is no -- the server always
gets to choose each client's session ID.  However, that is not really a
problem, sinceif the client wants to choose its own identifier it can just
post a node whose node-name is that identifier, and then the other clients
can address it by referring to that node.  For example, if your client wants
to be known as "squiggy", just send a PR_COMMAND_SETDATA Message (as
described in the documentation) that uploads a node named "squiggy" to the
server... then the other clients can send Messages with PR_NAME_KEYS set to
"/*/*/squiggy", or just "squiggy", and they will go to your client)

-Jeremy