[muscle] Re: SV: Re: Server Design issue.

  • From: "Jeremy Friesner" <jaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muscle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:54:15 PDT (-0700)

> It should be good if one could do a ServerProcessSingleLoop that runs one
> iteration through the ServerProcessLoop leaving control back to the caller.

That wouldn't work very well, because each iteration through the loop
contains a call to select(), and select() may block for a long period of time
(it willl block until the next piece of I/O is ready for processing, or until
the next PulseNode event-time has arrived).

> Having the possibility to install a callback function from the
> ServerProcessLoop giving us the chance to interact.

You can get lots of callback hooks by installing a Session object and
overriding some of its methods to do what you want.  (The session
object doesn't have to be connected to a client... you can pass in
socket=3D-1 to indicate there is no connection)