[muscle] Re: Growing Win32 HANDLE count with repetive connection attempts

  • From: "Jeremy Friesner" <jaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muscle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:59:09 PDT (-0700)

Hi Raymond,

I don't see any glaring mistakes, but I do see some things in your posted code
that I don't think are optimal and might be related... they are:

1) You seem to be calling StartInternalThread() and
WaitForInternalThreadToExit() on your Client object.  Shouldn't you be calling
these methods on the =5FmessageTransceiverThread object, instead=3F   (Actually
I would recommend calling ShutdownInternalThread() instead of
WaitForInternalThreadToExit(), since that way the tell-thread-to-go-away-now
step is done for you)

2) It appears that your Client class is a subclass of the MUSCLE Thread class.
That means that in addition to the main() thread, each Client object spawns two
threads -- one that is spawned by the StartInternalThread() call in
Client::start(), and the thread that is held internally by the
=5FmessageTransceiverThread object (I'm assuming you call
=5FmessageTransceiverThread->StartInternalThread() somewhere).  Is this
intentional=3F  In my experience you don't/shouldn't need a separate thread in
addition to the MessageTransceiverThread, since all blocking operations already
happen asynchronously, inside the MessageTransceiverThread object's internal
thread.  (Maybe you have another reason for spawning an additional thread
though...=3F)

3) Your start() method uses a modal/blocking event loop, so that start()
doesn't return until either the connection is complete or the connection times
out.  This is sub-optimal since it means that your app is "tied up" inside
start() until the method returns -- for example, if the user wants to quit the
app, the app won't be able to quit until start() returns.  A better way to do
the auto-reconnect logic is using the event-driven state-machine style -- in
your main event loop, call the MessageTransceiverThread methods as necessary
(they are all non-blocking), and handle the MessageTransceiverThread's
connection-status-update events as they come in, without blocking in a separate
event loop.   To implement the auto-reconnect logic, you could use a Win32
timer technique such as WM=5FTIMER events.  Win32MessageTransceiverThread.h has
several examples of this in the comments at the end of the file.

4) When all else fails, the tried-and-true debugging method for problems like
this is to grep through the code for Win32 system calls that create or delete
handles, and put a unique printf() next to each call.  (There are only a few
files in the MUSCLE archive that call Win32 API calls, so this shouldn't be too
difficult to do).  Then run the app with console output enabled (see
MiscUtilityFunctions.cpp, lines 154-157 for code to open a console for stdout)
and watch the output as the program runs.  Most likely you will see which call
is creating handles on each connection attempt, and then it should be a simple
matter to track down the matching free-handle call and figure out why it isn't
being executed.

Cheers,
Jeremy