[muscle] Re: FW: testclient for win32

  • From: Jeremy Friesner <jaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muscle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:06:21 -0700

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 13:13, VANHERP Wim wrote:
> A question that is not related directly to muscle, when i set up my
> project, i can choose for multithreaded or not in my compiler (c++
> builder).  Do you what that means exactly ? If i do not choose
> multithreaded, should it be impossible to launch threads ?

That's correct.  In multithreaded mode, your program will be able to have
multiple threads running at the same time (e.g. you can use the muscle
MessageTransceiverThread class).  In single-threaded mode, the compiler
assumes that you will only ever use a single thread (the one that starts in
main()) and therefore it doesn't bother to implement any locking/unlocking of
shared resources.  That gives you code that will run a little more
efficiently (since it doesn't have to lock/unlock things), but it will not
work correctly if your program tries to run multiple threads.

-Jeremy