[muglo] Re: (no subject)

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 15:03:27 -0400

on 8/9/01 19:17, Tee Cashmore.1 at tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Tee:
>> It's quite easy to fix the home page problem. Netscape flaunts all the rules
>> and tends to ignore the Internet Preferences control panel settings. Make
>> sure your home page settings are correct in the Internet Control panel (for
>> browsers that play by the rules), and, also that the settings are correct in
>> Netscape itself.
>>

>> L8r, Eric.
>
> Hi Eric,
> I've done all that. It's not Netscape that's ay fault, it's Sympatico,
> which otherwise is great.
> BTW as you like "Opera", which I do too, how do you get it to remember the
> screen size? I increase the screen to fit my 17" monitor, but unless I open a
> new site on top of an existing one, Opera defaults to quite a small screen;
> about 1/3 rd.
> TTFN,
> TeeC

Sympatico should have *nothing* to do with your web browser. All they are
are the conduit through which your computer accesses the web. They provide
you with (what I understand to be) a dynamic IP address (DHCP?) and that is
it. Your computer then sits on top of that and whatever settings you have
are what your web browser(s) use. If you're using a Sympatico-supplied
browser and you don't use any (if any) of the functionality it provides your
better off installing a generic (clean, unmodified by Sympatico) Netscape or
Explorer and using that. You can d/l 4.78 or 6.1 from
<http://www.netscape.com/download>. If there's something hard-coded into
your Sympatico-Netscape this will get rid of it and allow you to set your
own settings.

As for Opera I've only used it once or twice (& only in Classic mode). It's
far too crash-prone for my tastes still (though, has a fast display engine).

Aside from Explorer 5.1 I use iCab 2.5.3 (OS X & Classic versions), OmniWeb
4.0.3 (an OS X only app) and occasionally Netscape 4.78 (it does the best
job with some HTTP forms I use). OmniWeb is hands down the nicest browser I
have used on any platform (pity it's not available for OS 8/9). It is
lacking in some respects that don't allow it to replace Explorer fully, e.g.
no command-click to move pages, doesn't handle JavaScript/InScript properly
100% of the time, has problems with forms sometimes and crashes twice as
often as Explorer 5.1 or iCab 2.5.3 (BTW Netscape 6.1 for OS X is pitiful...
the build that's available crashes every 3 or 4 pages (& sometimes won't
even open) so it's next to useless... and the interface is a throwback to
the early days of Windoze 3.1).

Oops, I went on this long tangent about browsers.

If you mean OmniWeb (do you run OS X?) then the answer is "I don't know".
The default screen size bugs me in OmniWeb (though it has by far the BEST
zoom feature that I've *ever* seen... web pages are zoomed to the height and
width necessary to display all the page).

For Opera... there might be a preference that you can change. Else, write
the coders for the Opera project and suggest they add that feature or fix it
(I wrote the developers of iCab many times during their early development
releases and a number of my bug reports were promptly fixed (usually next
build) and features included (though, they still haven't incorporated
command-click to scroll yet (I wonder if M$ has a patent on that?... though,
I doubt it as it has been around for a aeons in graphics apps (MacPaint 1.3
in 1984 had it!!!!!)) :( :( :(

Eric.

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>