[muglo] Re: new (to me) iBook

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:05:37 -0400

You don't actually need a cable modem or ADSL connection for wireless
connectivity! If you're on dial-up there are two (and more) options
available to you:

1. use a desktop OS X-based computer to act as an intermediary between your
dial-up access and the wireless. You using the internet sharing setting in
the System Preferences pane.

2. get an Airport router that has an in-built 56K modem. Set it up to do the
dirty work of dialling into your dial-up ISP and you've got wireless
internet around the house. Share the connection with another computer
(wirelessly or hooked up through ethernet). It's not exactly zippy but it
does allow multiple people to browse the web, and if all you're doing is
browsing one 56K modem connection is enough bandwidth to support two people
(unless you're _constantly_ donwloading a lot of graphics or information)

3. (and more) get a third party ethernet router with a modem built-in (not
as elegant as the Airport solution since you can configure the airport
router "out of the box" with your OS X mac).

(and more #2) set up an ancient PPC (e.g. 7500/132 (usually it's recommended
that you run a 604 or 603e processor and the 132 MHz (IIRC) is the slowest
604)) Linux server to share the connection a la OS X (not as elegant but
extremely satisfying once you've got it working (and, chances are, once you
have it working, it'll stay working until the day the computer dies, or you
fiddle too much with the LInux box).

eric.

>From: doug rogers <dougsamu@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: "MUGLO Online" <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [muglo] Re: new (to me) iBook
>Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 09:57:46 -0400
>
> >One "little" problem. The iBooks lack any expansion capability. You can
> >fiddle with the speed settings or else use the external USB modem to see
>if
> >that'll fix things up. Alternately, set your tower up as an intermediary
> >between the internet and the iBook (& hook the iBook up to the G3 through
> >ethernet or wirelessly).
>
>  Yes, there is no PCMCIA slot, I've fussed with the settings. Haven't
>tried the external USB connected directly yet, and eventually, there will
>be a wireless router for the iBook. No cable modems in this house yet
>though.
>
> >                  <http://home.golden.net/~samu>                 <
> >   There's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.  <

>For information concerning the MUGLO List just click on
>
>            http://muglo.on.ca/Pages/joinus.html
>
>Don't forget to periodically check our web site at:
>
>            http://muglo.on.ca/

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
stationery, fonts and colors.

first two months FREE*.