Re: [muglo] FW: Sharing Internet Connection

  • From: Bob McDaniel <mcdaniel@xxxxxx>
  • To: Muglo <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 17:48:38 -0800

Tee Cashmore wrote:

> ...I had assumed that the MacBook Pro would connect to
> the modem=92s aerial via its Airport card pretty much =20
> automatically ... it is probably necessary for me to configure the =20
> MacBook Pro to do that. If so, how do I do that?

I presume that you went into "Airport set-up utility" under "Utilities.

I did but the drop-down menus under "Base Station" and "Settings" were
greyed out, presumably because after scanning no Airport base station was
found. A message box also came up headed "Internet Connect" with message
that a PPPoE server could not be found.

Maybe this is the key that I'm missing. Where is the Airport base station
that Airport Utility is looking for? I've been assuming that in my case it
is the Speedstream 6520 modem/router. If it did find such a base station
what exactly would appear in the Airport Utility window?

Similarly, when working with the Network panel in "System Preferences" I am
asked to select a network (nothing is available to select) or join another
network (nothing offered) or create a network (I really don't know how or
why I would do that!)

What did I expect? Well, remembering that my eMac is hardwired to access my
ISP (Sympatico) via DSL thru the 6520, I expected that my MacBook Pro via
its Airport card would piggyback on the eMac's connection via a signal from
the 6520's antenna and so automatically also link to Sympatico. What is
wrong with that expectation?

Maybe Doug Plumley could tell me exactly (step by step) what his kids did to
get connected wirelessly and what router/modem they use.

Bob