[muglo] Re: memory

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 08:56:05 -0400

>On 18-Oct-04, at 12:15 AM, Hawk wrote:
>
> > I need a lesson in memory . . . Mac style. I have a G4, 9.2.2 OS with
> > 125 mb
> > with a 99.6 largest unused block. I constantly get memory warnings on
> > shockwave applications but ignore them and they generally go away, so
> > speak. But I find I can't download pix or even clip art to a
> > newsletter I
> > put together because there's not enough memory. How much do I need?
> > How much
> > can I add to the G4, if any? Jim
>
>   128 (125sic) Mb is not nearly enough & you can add heaps more. I would
>go to 512 any way. I presume you have a G4 Grey/White case type? If so
>you can add up to 1.6 Gigs with 4 slots. Memory for these is quite
>cheap & readily available at Computer Liquidators on Horton Street, but
>quite expensive from both Mac stores. HTH.
>TTFN,
>TeeC

A few comments:
1. If the G4 is really running 128 MB of RAM, chances are this is not an
issue of lack of memory!!! The _easiest_ fix in this case is to (a) upgrade
to OS X followed by (b) upgrade memory to 256 MB or more.

2. 125 MB suggests to me that Jim may be running 64 MB and have virtual
memory turned on (unless it was a typo). Is this so Jim? In which case extra
RAM may help a little bit.

3. OS 9 has serious memory management problems (though, it is the best of
the Classic OSes).

4. Internet Exploder and Netscrape Navigator were pretty bad with memory
managements (and, I suspect this is the source of your problems). One thing
you can try is to increase the minimum memory allocation for these apps.
Select the app in the Finder, do a Get Info (command-i) and change the
minimum application memory requirement (add 5 to 10 MB).

5. Upgrade to OS X 10.3.5 and bring your computer up to at least 256 MB of
RAM (512 MB or more recommended). Unless you're running a G4/350 your
computer will be more than fast enough to handle OS X and _feel fast_. Even
a G4/350 is more than fast enough to run OS X 10.3.5 (just don't expect it
to feel incredibly fast).

Eric.