[muglo] Re: memory

  • From: Wayne Dobson <pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 20:47:24 -0500

Good move, Jim. I doubt if the included software will do auto backups
with your G4. They usually are Windows only. If you're using OS9
exclusively on that machine, I doubt if you will find software to auto-
backup. When you get your new iMac, you can use the same drive with
'Time Machine' to do back-ups on it too via Leopard.
I haven't used OS9 for quite a while, but won't it just save changes
to backed up files if you attempt to over-write? You can leave it
plugged in via USB. It won't spin up unless it is being used.
On Jan 9, 2010, at 7:22 PM, Hawk wrote:

> Well, I listened to Wayne and shut it down until I could buy an
> external
> hard drive. My first, and the first time I've backed anything up.
> Since my
> G4 is now several years old I know I've been lucky never to have a
> crash.
> And I didn't realized how easy - relatively peaking it is - to back up
> files. Of course the hard drive came with no instructions. I know,
> you're
> supposed to know. Anyway it's a 500 gig drive and I managed to get
> everything downloaded. I think.
>   One question. After the download I was going to remove the drive
> but the
> bumf that came with it says it will now automatically back up
> everything I
> do.
>    So I just leave it plugged into the USB port. Right?
>   By the way at Best Buy I asked a salesperson with an apple on his
> shirt
> if he worked there. He said no, he worked for Apple.  Needless to
> say, he
> was helpful.
>       jim
>
> ---