[muglo] Re: memory

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:56:06 -0500

On Feb 12,2007, at 9:35 PM, Hawk wrote:

> I'm going to add as much memory to my G4 as I can. I have 128 megs
> now. It's
> OS 9.2.2 and I'm wondering of it would be wise to upgrade to OS10? at
> the
> same time. Is it worth it and does such an upgrade lead to probs?

Not sure which model you have but likely you'll be limited to a maximum
of 2 Gb (4 x 512 Mb chips).  Adding 128 Mb more would help OS 9 and
even more is better, I think all OS 9 will see is 1.5 Gb, you are at
the suggested minimum now.  For OS X you'll want as much as you can put
in or afford, which ever comes first.

Depends on what you mean by worth it.  If everything is running well
and it does all you need it to do then you can likely stay with OS 9
but do get some additional memory.  If your needs are still basic but
you are curious about OS X then I'd say go for it.  As I've stated in
he past I use a 1998 G3 with a Sonnet G4 400 Mhz card circa 2001 souped
up to 475 MHz on a 75 Mhz bus.  By today's standards this thing is a
sluggard (and I am rapidly becoming a luddite!) however I survive
reasonably well.  If your machine's speed is anything more than mine it
is likely more than adequate for most things.  I might suggest finding
a copy of OS X 10.3 (Panther) - cheaper or you could get 10.4 (Tiger).
Cost of Tiger will drop when 10.5 comes out in a little bit.

You are probably looking at about $250 to max your system and get in to
OS X.

Martin