[muglo] Re: importing data from separate hard drive

  • From: Andy Skuse <askuse@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 20:55:51 -0500

On 1-Mar-09, at 8:28 PM, Theresa Roth wrote:
> Do I have to reformat first before using carbon copy cloner? How do I
> reformat?
> I have downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner and would like to try it. I
> have been
> backing up my files weekly onto this drive from my defunct G3. I
> would like
> to try to back up everything not just the files I am using so as to
> back up
> calendar and address book data as well.
>
> Theresa

Hi Theresa,

I can tell you this from experience. I always repartition (not just
Erase) the target hard drive before I run carbon copy clone. I once
used carbon copy clone to copy one drive to another without
partitioning it first, and even though I told CC to "erase the hard
drive before cloning", after the clone was done I ended up with the
target hard drive containing some of the old data (which should have
been erased) mixed in with some of the cloned data. Very odd and
ultimately a big waste of time. I repartitioned the target hard drive
and did the clone again and all went well after that and all has gone
well with every clone I've done since (probably in the hundreds).

One more tip about CCC. Make sure you have the right version for your
operating system. If you have Mac OS 10.4 or 10.5 then use the main
link that they provide at the top of the webpage. If you are using Mac
OS 10.3 or 10.2 then scroll down to the bottom of the CCC webpage and
look for "Older Versions" and you will find a link to a different
version of CCC for Mac OS 10.2 and 10.3.

See Martin's post about how to use Disk Utility.

Andy