[muglo] Re: importing data from separate hard drive

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 20:41:46 -0500

Following both threads, it sounds like Doug suggests a reformat.  If
you have moved everything from the G3 to a DVD then yes go ahead and
reformat the drive.  In your utilities folder is a program called
oddly enough Disk Utility.  It will reformat the drive.  I would
cjose Mac OS extended and journaled.  Tehn all you hvae to do is
start up Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) chose the source disk and then the
target disk (the G3 drive you just fomatted) and ket CCC do its wok.
It will do a complete clone if you want it.  This would mean that you
ahve an identical (at that moment in time) drive which would boot up
etc.   At this point an much longer discussion on back-up strategies
is required in order to pick the options best suited to you.

For example, if you don't install a lot of programs, tweak your OS
etc CCC will allow you to do incremental back-ups of just changed
data files.  You'd have to do more reading of the CCC manual to
determine your best approach.