[muglo] Re: hispeed

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 14:34:31 -0400

As was pointed out in a follow up message to yours, a "router" is a pretty
dumb device. All it does is direct internet traffic over an ethernet network
to specific destinations (computers) and allows many computers to share one
IP (internet protocol, 255.255.255.255) address.

What you want to do is collect your e-mail from a centralised server using
two separate computers. This is pretty easy to do with nearly all e-mail
apps (I only use Entourage so I can't comment on Mail or Eudora). Just set
your e-mail app to leave e-mail on the server when you collect it and only
to delete mail when it is deleted from your computer.

If you have an IMAP-based e-mail account (doubtful) this is already how it
works.

An alternate way of doing e-mail is to use a web interface to access it (a
la Hotmail). Most major web services provide a web-based interface for you
to check your mail.

Eric.

>I see Ted. But a router wouldn't mean that I could route my e-mail to my
>computer in Port would it? Just to a computer in another room or on another
>desk, I presume. Jim

MSN Premium helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*