[muglo] Re: hispeed

  • From: Tee Cashmore <tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 20:23:36 -0400

Jim Taylor wrote:

>Thnx Ted. I think I'll got Rogers. That seems to be the consnsus. Also
>think I'll keep my e-mail in Port with my original ISP since it's fairly
>cheap. That said . . . what's a router?
>  Hey, I never said I was a techie. jim

Sokay Jim, it's just some of us learn a few things over 20 years of use
<BG>. A Router, in this instance, is a gizmo that enables you to route
more than one computer to the same function, like a modem, a printer
etc. An advantage for security is that most come with some form of built
in software that fools the casual hacker. As Rogers cable, like Bell
etc. is always on a router is another blocker to the hacker.
Routers come in all sorts of configuration, such as one port, 2 ports, 4
ports (the most common sold now, and 4 ports plus a printer port. HTH.
TTFN,
TeeC