[muglo] Re: back up programs

  • From: Doug Bale <dougbale@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 08:23:24 -0700 (PDT)

SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner are pretty similar — and I suppose pretty
much equally efficient - in their main feature, which is to produce a
line-by-line identical and bootable copy of your hard drive. One big advantage
for people who like to experiment frequently with new software is that
SuperDuper! can create what it calls a "sandbox" or a protected area of your
hard drive in which you can test new apps to your heart's content without their
interfering at all with your system or any other software; you only release
them once you're confident about them. I'm pretty cautious about doubtful new
programs, so that wasn't a big factor for me (also, I didn't have a lot of hard
disk space to space for the "sandbox"). The factor that was more important for
me was the intuitiveness of the SuperDuper! interface and the completeness and
easy comprehensibility of its online user manual. And in the end, although I
wasn't aware of it at the time of choosing
 SD over CCC, the clincher for me now is the quality of SD's support system.
The online forum, which is moderated very actively by the program's chief
designer, is the friendliest and most informative help system I've ever
encountered.