[muglo] Re: back up programs

  • From: Barry Takayesu <barryt99@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 11:43:27 -0400

On 24-Oct-08, at 10:48 AM, Douglas Feick wrote:

> What is the advantage of Superduper over Carbon Copy Cloner? ...Doug
> ---
> MUGLO information at <http://www.freewebs.com/muglo>

When searching on Google with "super duper, carbon copy clone" I found
these and more:

http://www.mymac.com/showarticle.php?id=3180

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-302691.html

http://www.macgasm.net/2008/02/15/my-transition-from-carbon-copy-cloner-to-super-duper/

One other place I would search is VersionTracker. I find this to be a
good site to get somewhat unbiased opinions by those who have 'gone
there' and in one site, you get pricings, ratings comparisons and also
know that they are all OSX (after you set your preferences). When you
key in "backup", you'll find 166 hits. Then click on the heading
column "rating" which will sort the list with all the 5 star ratings
first. Then I read the user comments to see if their information is
relevant to my needs.

One big precaution: A printer that I know had used a backup program
which religiously kicked in at its assigned time and did so for years
(I'm guessing). Then one day, he had a major crash. Unperturbed, he
got his backup drive but to his horror, discovered that the program
hadn't been backing up his valuable data!

So a word to the wise - occasionally check your backup data to ensure
that you don't get nasty surprises when you least want them. Reminds
me - I'd better do that myself.

Does anyone know if any of these backup programs give a 'verification
check' to let you know that all is well?

Barry Takayesu
barryt99@xxxxxxxxxxxxx