[muglo] Re: Virtual PC

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 13:58:12 -0400

When doing Boot Camp you will need to re-partition your drive.  Not
100% sure if this can be done on the fly.  To be on the safe side I
would clone your current drive, partitioning it ( I suggest at least
20GB for Windows XP sp3) then if things do go awry you can re-clone
your system back to the mac partition, then install a copy of XP/
Vista onto the windows partition.  Look into WINE which may allow you
to run that particular program without having to partition, install
etc and all that other stuff.  WINE stands for windows is not
needed.  Only works with Intel based machines.

There are a couple of man stream programs VMFusion and Parallels
which behave more like Virtual PC, Cost is about $80 and I think with
Parallels 4 you can do an on the fly partition or assign hard drive
space.  Also Wayne D. mentioned a Sun Microsystems  virtual machine a
few posts back as well which could work.

The main disadvantage to Boot Camp is that you have to shut down the
Mac and then reboot as a windows machine.  The advantage is that it
runs 100% native so there is no speed hit.  That may not be too
important for you. Depends on your needs.  My daughter runs AutoCad
using Parallels and for her it is 'quick' enough as her need for
speed isn't that great.  The other programs let you run both systems
at the same time, which if you have used VPC you would likely prefer.

Martin