[muglo] Re: UK

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:12:56 -0400

>From: teresa sneddon <teresa.sneddon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>If I have this right its Eric that moving to the UK?
>Why?

My partner wanted to do something different after having lived in Toronto
for the last 7 years (and three degrees) so we decided to give the UK a
whirl (she wanted to go somewhere English speaking... I would've preferred
Germany (her German is a lot better than mine) but that idea was nixed).

>Sounds to me like he hates it already, or am I picking up the wrong
>message.

Absolutely wrong :). The only thing I am not looking forward to is the
misery of perma-rain (and, maybe running into the odd pro-Blairite but it
seems he's out of touch with the general populace anyway so...). Otherwise I
think it'll be a lot of fun.

>Iam from Edinburgh, and I have only lived in this country for 8 years, so
>Iam still homesick!!

I'm originally from Dunbar, but can't honestly say I'm homesick ;) (that was
a few hunnerd years ago).

I've got to go to Dunbar (if you're from Edinburgh there's a wee chance
you'll know about the town) when we're there -- last time I was in Dunbar (&
Edinburgh) will have been 20 years + a few months ago (damn, that was a long
time ago).

>But trust me, Iam sure you will love it, and I dont think we Brits are
>backward just because some things are still imperial, its quite easy to
>work
>with both, once you get the hang of it, Iam in my early 50's, so they never
>had metric when I went to school, but so far it has not caused me any
>problems.

The English are the backwards boors. The Scots are undeniably the better
half of the kingdom <hehehehe... no apologies to any English, Irish or Welsh
people on the list>

>As for the UK, at the moment being where Canada was 10 years ago, I think
>you are way off the mark.

I just mean wrt the metric system. SI has been around a lot longer in Canada
(30+ years now?) than in the UK (since stories were still coming out of
London about switching to kg a few years ago). I suspect that our neighbours
to the south will forever hold on to imperial just because Europe is metric
(kind of ironic since they rebelled against the British and anything to do
with the empire yet they'll be the last major vestige of imperial units).
Mulroney's backbenchers (probably the same lot that changed their colours to
become CRAP MPs;) quashed efforts in the late 80s to move Canada away from
the last vestiges of the imperial system (one of the few things I would've
given Mulroney credit for and he didn't succeed). Degrees C, kg and km have
proved to be great successes regardless of age so there was little reason
not to go all the way.

Ah well, c'est la vie as the American authors say.

>As for the Royals and the 'anthem' we in Scotland sing our own 'anthem' 'o
>flower of Scotland' make sure you hear it when you are over there.

As a botanist I still find it a tad amusing that the thistle is the national
flower (though, it is rather fitting given the climate... you gotta be tough
to stand it).

>How long are you going for?

So far a year, but we don't know how long. Veronica has a job as a senior
chemistry and biology teacher but I'll be looking for something when I get
over there so it'll possibly depend on how homesick we are and whether I can
find something decent.

Eric.