[muglo] Re: Sample Forum

  • From: Paul Thomas <paul_thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:12:13 -0400

I think that Theresa has hit the nail on the head in saying that "I
prefer receiving emails"  - it is a matter of personal preference she
finds a List as she is used to whereas I find the Forum layout more
convenient!  I have been on the MUGLO  List and also the LMUG List for
many years and find them clumsy to use on the other hand I have been on
several Forums which I find more convenient to navigate!  I just go
there a few times a day - some only once, depending on the volume of
messages; some I am on only have about a dozen messages/day and my main
one (that I run) has about 50/day and has been over a 100/day which is
higher than the MUGLO List rate! So I am not sure why Theresa has such
a problem with looking at the messages as to need to see them, as it
were, instantaneously when they come in; I am not trying to be awkward
just curious as to her problem with having to see the messages by
email?  Anyway, I am sure she has her reasons.

It has been suggested having both systems available but that has the
problem of having to look at two sources periodically, the List and the
Forum OR having people double-posting - placing their messages on but
this would be time consuming.

Another small point that can be considered is that if desired, the
MUGLO Web page material could be transferred onto the Forum - perhaps I
should show such an example!!  Incidentally, how often do people
actually look at the web pages? And indeed one has the flexibility on a
forum to use colour, styles, fonts, etc. in addition to adding pictures
if required which cannot of course be done on Lists - or at least any
that I know of!

I guess ultimately it will be a case of a decision being made by the
Executive, possibly after holding a poll - which incidentally can be
easily done on the Forum - or taking a vote at a general meeting?

As I said earlier, I think it is largely a matter of preference and
nobody is really going to convince anyone very much and this is really
only to show that there are alternatives in this day and age and one
should be prepared to consider choices.

Well I guess I have said enough for now so I shall stop

Paul