[muglo] Re: SCSI Woes? Zip and Scan

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:34:29 -0500

on 17/12/01 10:28, Paul Thomas at paulthomas@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I recently was having a lot of crashes and freezes so decided that the time
> had come to do a clean sweep!!  I removed the system folder and did a clean
> install of my sys 8.0/8.1 on my Performa 5260. This got rid of the crashes
> but I could not reinstall my Zip Driver!  This was resolved finally by
> downloading and installing a newer version of the Zip Drive software!! The
> only problem now is with the scanner, a UMAX Vista - S6.

Do you actually need the Zip driver? I thought that a Zip drive didn't need
a driver to function. Suggestion: create an Extensions Manager list where
you disable the Zip extensions!

> The problem is that whilst the Zip Drive works fine, the scanner does not -
> but gives queer error messages such as "The SCSI bus is busy" when using
> PhotoDeluxe and "Scanner link failure" with the Copier program; there is no
> such problem if I disconnect the Zip Drive cable (power  off alone has no
> effect).  I suspected that there might be a problem with the SCSI numbers. I
> checked these and found them to be OK - the Zip Drive is #6 and the Scanner
> is #5.

You  may want to set the scanner to #4. It seems to be a default ID for
scanners & it may be your software is looking for it there. But, since you
have to *unplug* the Zip (not just turn it off) your problem is _probably_
related to termination (if only Firewire had been around in the 80s ;). Try
reversing the order in which the SCSI devices are plugged into your computer
or making sure only the last device in the chain is terminated.

> I used to have a small program that checked these out by giving you
> a list of what was connected to each number as a check - unfortunately I

SCSI Probe 5.2 (now under Adaptec's wing)

<http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10249-100-2577963.html?tag=st.dl.10005
-103-1.lst-7-1.2577963>
<ftp://ftp.adaptec.com/mac/scsi/SCSIProbe_v52.hqx>

L8r, Eric.

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>