[muglo] Re: RANT on Canadian imperial settings & politics(wasRe: OS Autoconnect)

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:44:40 -0400

What about Kelvin's scale? It is the most logical of the lot. Not only does
his use a logical scale (100 units between freezing point and boiling point
of H2O... vs. 180 for the one used by our not-so-efficient neighbOrs to the
south), but it also dispenses with the need for negative values! Admittedly,
remembering 0 for freezing point of water is a lot easier than 32 or 273.15
(rather relevant to human-kind since we kind of die with prolonged exposure
to sub-0 temperatures).

PS Technically Kelvin is the preferred SI unit for temperature though
Celsius is of more practical value in every-day use because of the freezing
point of water.

Found a site that will prove useful in the coming month... (I've been
playing with SI units for 17 years now and I still am sometimes caught
off-guard as to what exactly is proper format):

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/checklist.html

Eric.