[muglo] Re: RANT on Canadian imperial settings & politics (wasRe: OS Autoconnect)

  • From: Tee Cashmore <tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:01:28 -0400

Eric D. wrote:

>Exactly where I'm moving in three months :)

Might I ask where to? I know most of England very well & may be able to
give you neat places to see, or drink & eat at. I will be in the UK in
September for 3 weeks.

>I was also stunned to find out that the UK still uses miles for distance (all
>the UK-based map sites use miles and those British cop shows show speeds in
>MPH).

maybe, but the best map atlas show in both & a lot of road signs show
both; a poor way of making a slow change. The fast change from the
original Pounds, Shillings and Pence to a metric equivalent was quick &
successful.

>I wish the damned shops would use kg as their prominent units rather than
>lbs. Bananas for $.29/lbs or $.69/kg are about the only prices I know in kg;).
>Maybe I should start harassing store managers to let them know my
>dissatisfaction with the lbs-preferred state of affairs!

Agreed in spades!

>I just find it so funny -- the metric system is now nearly 200 years old and
>it is *undeniably* the better measurement system (I can't think of a single
>*advantage* to imperial that is not rooted in tradition), yet a number of
>countries still haven't made a full switch (plus, imperial is a cost on
>business -- it's illogical to have 12 inches to a foot but only 3 feet to a
>yard).
>
>Eric.

It's not really illogical if you know the history. Your thumb averages
1" from nail to knuckle & your foot is 12 inches with boots on. 3 feet
to a yard is an easy measure, although an average pace is 3 feet, all
measures stemming from the Army's need to be pretty consistent without
carrying "yardsticks".
I totally agree that Metric is better.
TTFN,
TeeC