[muglo] Questions about Bounces

  • From: doug rogers <dougsamu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MUGLO Online List <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 13:11:51 -0500

Bounce Handling
bounce-always-unsub

Should the user be unsubscribed when more than max transient bounces
have occured.

bounce-max-fatal

Maximum number of fatal bounces before action is taken.

bounce-max-transient

Maximum number of transient bounces before action is taken.

This is from the list config page at Freelists.

These are speaked in technogeek, not English. I can only pretend to
figure out what they actually mean

bounce-always-unsub is set to yes

bounce-max-fatal is set to 3

bounce-max-transient is set to 10

Fatal bounces is taken to mean that the email address is non-existent.

Transient bounces, I think, means that there has been some glitch in
the transmission.

Once again this bounce system can be taken only to reveal the dead
email addresses on the list. It doesn't show how many subscribers
actually read messages once the message is in their inbox, and has no
relevance to what constitutes and 'active' subscriber.

As of now I have received 6 replies to the "Membership Confirmation
request" email. BTW none from the executive, and I know - well, i can
only suspect - they are alive. Not even that seems a reliable test of
what constitutes an 'active' member.