[muglo] Re: OS X again

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:30:48 -0400

on 27/7/03 9:03 PM, Paul Thomas at paul_thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Sunday, July 27, 2003, at 05:20  PM, Paul Thomas wrote:
>
>> I have now loaded OS 10.2; it did NOT give me a choice of method so I
>> assume that it was
>> 'upgrade' in spite of what the book said!!!  Also it took about an hour
>> not 10 - 20 mins - I guess the author was using a faster system and
>> should have qualified his statement!!!!!
>>
>> I have seen some improvements and have installed my printer OK.
>> However the clock is still having problems of not maintaining the
>> correct date and time except for a short time like a restart - so I
>> guess it must be a battery problem?  Shall have to follow that one up
>> unless someone can suggest something else?
>>
>> Paul
>>

> I have just decided to have one more try by reloading OS 10.2 AFTER
> Renaming the System Folder as Previous System (as the 2nd. option in
> the book) in case the clock item was not updated!! Should the System
> File (if there is one) also have its name changed?

No, that's more than enough to "hide" a System but what you are doing is
redundant if you are not running 10.2.6!!! (and here is wehre I cna't
remember what your problem was -- are you running a brand new eMac or were
you on a tower?)

The "clock" problem is mostly limited to towers IIRC (check
www.macintouch.com and do a google search focussed on the website for clock
issues (check the advanced searching help page on google on how to limit
searches to a specific site if you need to know how to do that).

Now that you've installed OS X 10.2 you *must* upgarde to 10.2.6 if you have
not already done so to get the clock fix, *if* it's a software problem. I
don't know what iteration of OS X introduced the clock bug but I think it
was actually in 10.1 and wasn't cleared up for most people until 10.2.4 or
10.2.5!

Otherwise it's a battery problem and you'll have to get a new battery (but,
if you just bought the computer... can't remember if you did) you
*definitely* should not need to replace the battery.

Eric.