[muglo] Re: New Mac Virus

  • From: Barry Takayesu <prestige.print@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 20:55:45 -0500

Hi Maria:

I couldn't see any reference to "Pirates and Hobos" - either as a
virus or as a hoax. Usually there are 10 hoaxes for every actual virus
threat. As you probably know, we Mac users are fortunate that there
are few hackers bent on playing havoc on our platform. We're not
immune, it's just that there is a bigger payback on the PC side. I
think there will be more Macs attacked as OSX comes into wider use.
One of the places to check for hoaxes is http://www.urbanlegends.com,
or for viruses is: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/index.html;
http://www.cvc.org/hoaxes.htm. There are some viruses that, although
won't affect macs, can still be passes on to PC users.

So Maria, how's the weather there in DR? Right now, we've got a couple
inches of snow on the ground. This is the least amount of snow and
cold weather than we've had in a long time.

Maria Brandt wrote:

> Has anybody heard of a Mac Virus named "Pirates and Hobos"? We were made
> aware of this virus by a Mac user from Boston. Is there something to it or
> just a rumor.

Barry Takayesu
Prestige Print & Graphics * 9 Anderson Ave. * St.Thomas, ON, Canada
N5P 4A24
ph:  (519) 631-8800 * fax: (519) 631-6316 *
mailto:prestige.print@xxxxxxxxxxx

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>