[muglo] Re: Mail delete

  • From: Garth Phillips <eurogarth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:05:57 -0500

The problem may also be that you have a mail virus that is in fact
mailing one of those pesky (but usually harmless) chain messages to
everyone in your address book.

I know, I know that Macs are immune to viruses. However, when this
happened to me a year or so ago my SPOD would go for 5-10 minutes each
time I opened mail. I called Rogers and they reported they were seeing
OUT-bound activity while I was download my messages. I went into my
disk and in an Entourage folder, found a sub folder called "saved
attachments" with a single file in it. I deleted the file (the one the
Mary asked me to send her in her disbelief) and the problem immediately
stopped.
  This could be similar depending on how big your address book is and
how fast/slow your connection is. Where one would find a "saved
attachment" in mail, I have no idea.

The reason I was sure I had a virus was that I rarely save only the
attachment of a message, had never set-up a saved attachment folder
anywhere on my disk, and if I do save an attached file from a message,
I put it only in a My Documents folder where I can find all my files
and not in a mail folder.

Tee is there any way you can check for out-going activity while the
SPOD is doing it's thing?

Garth.

On 2004, Oct 30, , at 00:16, Mary wrote:

At 6:43 PM -0400 10/29/04, Tee Cashmore wrote:

> On 29-Oct-04, at 5:02 PM, Mary wrote:
>
>>  Hmm. So, you knew that Mail app was stuck, specifically in the
>>  process of opening the attachment because you observed ... what..?
>
> I observed a coloured spinning ball that would not stop spinning even
> after 15 minutes.

So, that tells us that Mail was pre-occupied with a process, but not
(exactly) that Mail was attempting to open the attachment.

> My Netscape opens attachments when I click on them, but that can be set
> up. In Mail it evidently can't. All attachments in my version of Mail
> open up immediately and show up in the body of the email itself.

Hmm, I don't use Mail, myself, so have no direct experience. In
looking on the net, I found, to my surprise, that Mail does auto-open
and display attachments if they are graphic files. I believe that
this auto-behaviour is confined to graphic files. Is that your
experience, or are you saying that an attached text file or a
spreadsheet, for example, would open automatically and show up in the
body of the email. That seems doubtful to me.

Was your problem attachment a graphic file?

   Mary