[muglo] Re: IDE controller card Q

  • From: Tee Cashmore <tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 19:26:13 -0500

"Eric D." wrote:

> I popped (replaced the crappy 24x CD-ROM) in a 3rd party CD-RW (Sony
> 40/24/10, $75) into my B&W and it works like a charm. A DVD player maybe
> slightly different but I don't imagine it should cause you problems either
> (you may not be able to play DVD movies depending on the software you
> have... unless you get a DVD decoder daughter card for your video card).
>
> L8r, Eric.

Hi,
    Glad to report that the DVD installation went relatively well, but we now
think that the CD R/W I had; which wasn't verifying; is probably okay. The
problem seems to actually be software related & with a clean install of 9.1
everything was okay. A daughter card was necessary of course.
    On the other hand we had  enormous problems with the external Firewire
"Plexwriter 8/4/32". Trying another brand case too; exactly the same board
inside; and we found the cases wouldn't allow one to switch makes of CD
writers; I wanted to reinstall my writer in my external firewire. We tried 3
different brands of writers & only the specific case related brand would
work. So beware if buying an external case that you may be lumbered with a
particular brand. Terry & I spent 2 hours + on this and even he was Very
surprised at the results. Even found out that it's very important to use the
first firewire cable slot on the writer, even though neither is marked.
TTFN,
TeeC