[muglo] Re: IDE controller card Q

  • From: Tee Cashmore <tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 01:26:27 -0500

Alex wrote:

> also, I'm thinking of purchasing an IDE PCI card, for my scsi tower
> mac, this card allows one to hook up IDE type hard drives... but I'm
> wondering whether one can also hook up IDE type 5.25" drives, for
> example cd burners or DVD drives. Does anyone know if this is
> possible. Are the interfaces the same on an IDE type hard drive as
> they are on an IDE type 5.25" drive? ...

Hi,
    According to Terry S, one has to be careful of the brand of IDE
card, Sonnet's, I think that's the one; is very Mac savvy, but hooking
up CD burners and Hard drives is a breeze, but beware of DVD drives.
Readers are mostly okay, but writers are not. I'm going to try out a
quite inexpensive CD/DVD Readers in my B/W G3 tomorrow, if the roads are
open <G>. BTW I had IDE type CDs & HDs in my StarMax as well as SCSIs &
they all worked fine.
TTFN,
TeeC