[muglo] Re: Ethernet hub setup in X

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:31:59 -0400

Herloo Alex (I'm Japanese ;P... spelling problematic this morning... my
apologies to anyone who doesn't get the joke), check out:

<http://support.dlink.com/>

FAQ:
<http://support.dlink.com/faq/>
For hub-specific FAQ:
<http://support.dlink.com/faq/results.asp?question=General%20Hubs>

Your hub will have the model number emblazoned somewhere on it (most likely
top, back or bottom). Go to the DLink Downloads link
<http://support.dlink.com/downloads/> and download the relevant manual.

As Garth said, plug the modem in #1/uplink port (that's what it's called),
*probably* with a "cross-over ethernet cable" and plug Mac, eMate and any
other devices (printers, VOIP phones, etc) in the other ports with patch
cables (unless you have a newer PowerBook or iBook (Pismo (G3 2000) or later
since they have auto-sensing ethernet ports).

Depending on your modem, and your ISP you may have to do some other things
before getting up-and-running on the web. One (some?) of the modems that
Rogers supplies is not that happy hooking up to different MAC # interfaces
(MAC has *nothing* to do with Macintosh).

A MAC # is the UNIQUE id given to every ethernet device -- a hub, an eMate,
a laptop, a router, your Mac, a printer, the modem -- they all have MAC
identifiers which are unique and physically associated with the device
(those hexadecimal (0123456789ABCDEF) "numbers" (strings) that you see on
the bottom/back of your Mac).

ASIDE: A few types of devices can change their MAC address, but this is
*not* something that ordinary people should do -- only network gurus setting
up serious networks have to (and have the option to) play with MAC
addresses.

Back to Rogers -- Macs don't play well with larger networks, or high-speed
ISPs (Macs are great on straight ethernet + TCP/IP). What happens is that a
cable modem (often a router or a bridge (hub-like device)) often "latches"
on to a particular MAC address (i.e. the # for the ethernet interface on a
computer/hub/printer/etc) and won't let go. For Macs, the trick is to turn
on (or was that off) AppleTalk while the computer is on and plugged into the
modem and then turn off the computer. This forces the modem to "release" the
computer's MAC address and allows a computer/ethernet device (like hub) with
a different MAC address to be plugged into it.

You may not have to do this with your set-up, but if you find that you do
have green lights for the modem uplink port and for the Mac port (i.e.
there's a physical connection) *but* you cannot connect to the web (i.e.
your computer cannot talk to the cable modem to get through to your ISP) you
will probably need to do this.

PS Are you hooked up to the web using a DHCP server on your ISP's end, a
DHCP server in your modem, or a static IP address from your ISP? (or, I
guess it's possible to have it from the modem, but *highly* unlikely since
that's a nightmare for techsupport to implement... I've found it to be a
touch challenging and as you may gather from this e-mail, I'm reasonably
competent with basic networking ;).

Anyway, *provided* your modem hasn't latched on to your computer's MAC
address (and won't let it go), you won't have to do what I just suggested
with turning on/off AppleTalk.

There is an alternate condition in which the ISP-end *also* latches on to
your computer's MAC address and that requires them to reset it on their end
-- however, I doubt this would be a problem since you are still originating
the connection to their network from the same MAC address (your computer),
even though it has to go through the hub and then through the modem.

Eric.