[muglo] Re: Data transfer between computers

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 09:12:52 -0400

on 18/7/03 10:33 PM, Paul Thomas at paul_thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have just obtained a new computer [eMac] with OS X and OS9 - which I am
> sure will take a little learning!!  Any helpful suggestions would be
> apreciated.

Congratulations, that's one sweet machine!!!

> In the meantime I want to transfer some files from the iBook; I am wondering
> if one can do this via a USB cable treating one computer as a peripheral to
> the other?  If so can one have the desktop of the one appear on the second
> so that one can drag files from the one computer to the other?  I remember
> in the distant past doing something like this using a modem to modem
> connection - it made life very convenient to transfer files from one
> computer to the other!!!  The alternative is to use the zip drive as a
> transfer device - not quite as convenient!!

Depending on the age of your iBook, you *may* be able to use any old cable.
The newer PowerBooks and towers have auto-sensing (?) ethernet ports and can
use either cross-over or patch (syn. straight, direct) cables at will. I'm
not sure if Apple ever introduced that feature to the crapsumer line of
laptops.

Anyway, if you have a cross-over cable, you'll be able to transfer files
between the two computers without a hitch.

Two FYIs:
1. Using OS X and AppleTalk. Apple file sharing with OS X is quite a bit
more robust than OS 9 with *one* exception -- if there are connected clients
OS X does *not* warn you that they're attached when you try to
shutdown/restart. To connect to an OS X file server (i.e. a consumer OS X
that's serving file, not OS X Server) (if you're not using another OS X
client), the most reliable way to do so is over TCP/IP and can be done
through *any* TCP/IP connection. So, if you have a hub, router or switch
that doesn't support AppleTalk packets it'll work (AppleTalk is *dead*).

2. To transfer files via direct connection of modems (works with Windows and
Mac and any other OS):

Connect the two modems together with a regular phone cable (the one that you
use to hook your modem up to the wall). Fire up a terminal application on
both computers (download ZTerm for Mac, and Windows has one included, and,
well, Linux installs the kitchen sink so chances are it'll have a terminal
app as well (of course, my use of terminal may be confusing since
"terminal.app" in OS X refers to the CLUI interface to the UNIX (Darwin)).

Type ATA <enter> on one computer. ATX1D <enter> on the other. The modems
will establish a connection at the highest possible speed. You can then
transfer files with something like X/Y/ZModem or Kermit.

This is a rather complex way of doing it, but when you don't have any other
way of communicating (i.e. no floppy drive, no ethernet on one of the
computers) it's better than nothing (it's made life *much* easier at times).

Eric.