[muglo] Re: Buying used computers on-line

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 07:10:58 -0400

Not bad (for the time). Here in Toronto 512 MB is now ~$50 for
generic, $60 for brand name $100+ for the "premium" stuff at the Mac
stores (which I suspect is merely brand name with the Mac-store gouge
tax added on top). 1 GB generic is ~$110.

What's interesting is that PC100 RAM is starting to *rise* in price (I
guess it's becoming scarce and there are still a lot of people out
there upgrading older machines).

PS I just upgraded my Beige G3 with a 10/100 ethernet card for $8
(D-Link)! I don't know if the card works in Mac OS 9/X but (Yellow
Dog) Linux autodetected and  autoconfigured the card. Linux did a
*better* job at handling the upgrade than Mac OS 9/X would've. Plus,
now the server really flies (it's fast enough to put my iTunes and
iPhoto libraries on the server and use them on our computers, as
needed.

Eric.