[muglo] Re: Bootable OS 9 for used G4

  • From: Leith Peterson <leithriver7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:30:54 -0400

Thanks for the info, Eric.  Please see my comments below.

>So you do have full OSes and installs of the OS on the multi-session CD?
>
>FYI: A multi-session CD should not interfere with the ability of one
>of the partitions to boot!
>
>I suggest you do the following if you have no already tried this:
>1. Insert the multi-session CD which contains your OS 9 and OS 9.2.2
>sessions (is 9.2.2 a real installer or is it an upgrade?).
>2. Open System Preferences:Startup Disk
>3. If the CD appears as a bootable disk, select it.
>
>If the above does not work, you might be able to extract the session
>from the multisession CD and burn it to CD, PROVIDED the OS 9 or OS
>9.2.2 session you copy contains a System Folder!!!!
>
>1. Open Disk Utility
>2. Insert multisession CD
>3. Select the appropriate session of the CD and make a disk image out of it.
>4. Save the disk image to your HD.

The multisession CD with OS9 on it does not have a System Folder in
the OS 9 session.

However, I do have a full version of Mac OS 10 in bootable form on
separate CD's.

>5. (if you have Toast) Open Toast and burn the iso to disk (likely
>you'll have to select 'copy' disk or something to that effect -- you
>DO NOT want to burn the FILE to a disk. You want to burn the IMAGE to
>the disk). Select the 'bootable' option.

I have Toast 6, but I'm assuming from what you said that it's
pointless to try and make a bootable disk if I don't have an OS 9
System Folder.  I looked in the Toast manual, but see no option for
making a disk bootable.

>5. (if you lack Toast) Stay in Disk Utility.
>6. Burn the newly created ISO to a new CD. (don't know if there's an
>option to create bootable CDs in Disk Utility)
>
>Next thought...
>
>All right, lets start from the beginning:
>1. Why do you want to "reformat" (you're actually erasing it...
>reformatting is technically a different operation) your "OS 9
>partition"?

The G4 OS9 partition has information on it from the previous owner.
I just thought the quickest and easiest thing to do was to erase the
OS 9 portion of the disk.

>2. Is it a real partition, SEPARATE from your OS X partition?

Yes, the OS 9 partition is separate.

>If the answer to 2 is YES then all you have to do is ERASE the disk
>from OS X's Disk Utility application.
>
>But, I still question why you're doing this. If you plan to install
>Mac OS 9 MAKE SURE THAT YOU CAN BOOT INTO OS 9 BEFORE YOU REFORMAT THE
>PARTITION!!!

Yes, I can boot into OS9.  However, to reinstall the software, I
gather I would have to have an OS9 version with the System Folder?
Or can I simply erase the OS9 partition from the OS 10 startup part,
then reinstall OS 9 without the System Folder?

Please advise.  Thanks.

Leith

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/