[muglo] Re: Airport Extreme and Netgear

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:01:18 -0400

Same router I have (of course, I don't have g cards ;). Good routers!

Have you set up security of some sort? If so, that's what's screwing you up!

The Netgear offers you a few options (all of which are supported by Mac I
believe... I run at just slightly above no protection whatsoever... can't be
bothered... if someone is so desperate to use my bandwidth or steal
un-encrypted passwords, let them (I'll catch bandwidth stealers quick enough
and most of my passwords are transmitted on encrypted protocols anyway)).
1. None (alright if you live far from other people).
2. WEP
3. Another crypto (stronger than WEP)

And, something that works in conjunction with 1-3 (I use this with #1):
MAC restricted access (what I'm using). This allows you specify that only
certain wireless cards can access the router. All NICs (network interface
controllers, e.g. wireless card, ethernet port) have unique MAC addresses.
Your laptop has two, one for the ethernet connection and another for the
Airport Extreme card.

If you have another computer handy, log in to the router (192.168.0.1) with
username admin and password, password (the defaults) and check to see what
you security settings are.

Eric.

>From: Marty Peterson <marty.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: "muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [muglo] Airport Extreme and Netgear
>Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 08:14:37 -0400
>
>I have a 17² Powerbook with an airport extreme card and I am trying to
>connect to a Netgear wireless router (Model WGT624/108
>mbps/2.4ghz/802.11g).
>I keep getting a message that there is an error connecting to this router.
>I was able to connect my 15² Powerbook with just an older Airport Card
>without a problem.  Both computers are running the latest version on
>Panther.
>Marty Peterson

to offer.

first two months FREE*.