[muglo] Re: 4 Sale

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:11:45 -0500

>From: doug rogers <dougsamu@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [muglo] Re: 4 Sale
>Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 08:54:09 -0500
>
>On 11-07-06, at 12:27 AM, Tee Cashmore wrote:
>
> >>   That's the DSL modem?
> >
> > I believe so, it's certainly not a Cable type
>
>I believe that the upgrade to high speed we will be getting soon will
>require the type of modem that has the POTS line input. $50 is
>certainly cheaper than the $100's most want.

Not having followed the thread...

1. "Regular" (analogue POTS) modems max out at 56 Kbps (~4 K/sec).

2. (A)DSL modems are used with the phone system and use the same _wires_ as
the regular modems, but they don't use the same connection. Your POTS
telephone company MUST have a switching station set up for you to be able to
use an ADSL modem at home (just having a phone line isn't enough since the
ADSL modem doesn't use the regular phone connection... which your "dial-up"
modem does).

You can usually buy these modems separately for anywhere between $10 (used
on eBay) to $200 (new from rip-off artist). Depending on the modem and the
connection, they max out at anywhere between 512 Kbps and 5 Mbps (perhaps
higher now).

Cable modems are used exclusively with cable TV networks and have varying
maximum speeds. You rarely buy your own cable modem.

Eric.

Buy, Load, Play. The new Sympatico / MSN Music Store works seamlessly with
Windows Media Player. Just Click PLAY.
http://musicstore.sympatico.msn.ca/content/viewer.aspx?cid=SMS_Sept192006