[muglo] Re: 2 questions

  • From: Wayne Dobson <pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 09:56:27 -0400

'Startup Disk' tells the computer where to look for an operating system when you re-boot. Selecting 'Network' will force it to look for a system on a non-existant network. I'm not sure if it will freeze or just start checking other discs for a system, but don't take any chances: select OSX on your main drive. Files don't use up memory, but applications do. If you have less than 1 GB of RAM, you will run short frequently just using mundane apps like email and Safari. A re-boot will usually free up memory by closing idling apps, clearing caches, etc.

On Sep 7, 2011, at 7:40 AM, Theresa Roth wrote:

I got an error message in Entourage saying something like “start up memory low” and telling me to delete some files.

I used spotlight to find startup but couldn’t find anything to do with memory BUT after clicking on “Network Startup” in “Startup Disk” in System Prefs, I do not know if that is what was selected prior to me clicking on it or if OS/X needs to be selected.

I need to re-boot but want to ensure it reboots so need to know which I need to select. How so I delete files to free up startup memory (email is very slow to send or move to another folder)?

Theresa

Wayne Dobson
G4 eMac, 1.42 GHz
2 GHz RAM,Leopard,