[muglo] Re: 100% OT (was 90% OT (was: Re: What's with MacOutpost?)

  • From: Eurogarth <eurogarth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Muglo@Freelists. Org" <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:19:45 -0400

While I may prefer to have a private over public model, we do need to
separate the difference between what IS business and what IS Public Service.

Just b/c someone can create a profit, doesn't mean it SHOULD be a business
(Child porn comes to mind as an example) nor just b/c an elected party can
enter a market doesn't mean it SHOULD create a "Public  Service (did I
really gain anything from PetroCanada?).

Most Canadians agree that Utility and Health-care services are "essential"
and should be state run... most Americans do not.

Should we privatize our Military? On education, in the US you can pay what
most of us believe are obscene amounts to go to a private school such as
Harvard, Stanford, Northwest, Yale Indiana, etc. or pay less than half to go
to a State College instead. Some state-schools (Michigan-State, Cal-State,
Florida-State among many others) have quality  rivaling many private
schools. So it would seem that the US is split on if education should be
public or private. The problem for us is that IVEY, WLU, UofT could all
charge $100K each and still fill ALL the spots with Americans who'd happily
pay what looks to them like 65K with the added benefit of reduced living
expenses.

And that would be alright with some here who propose that private is always
better than public.

For me, I go by what I stated at the top and if we deem it "essential" then
is should be state run and if not, then it should be in the private sector.
And that my friends, must surely lead us to the the Insurance industry!
Where private would seem to be the way to go, but on the other hand, thanks
to Government intervention, having auto insurance IS more than essential,
it's mandatory. Believe it or not, there are still many places on this Earth
where insurance is not a legally mandated requirement, mostly in Asia. The
result there is that premiums are dirt cheap, payouts are tiny (no
multi-million-dollar verdicts in Hong Kong  and repairs are based on the
cost of a fender rather than "well the insurance company is paying, so it
doesn't really matter". Yes, if you're hurt in an auto accident, you are
looked after as most of the places, like Canada, also have State run
health-care, but you won't be able to profit from it.

Garth.
All ranted out now... My apologies