[mswindowsxp] speed tutuorial included for free

  • From: "Kelly C. Hanna" <ElkySS@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 09:11:15 -0600

>because you are talking about using a phone line
>connection which will never run faster than 53,300 (because the
>phone company won't let it go faster than that)

Very good points you bring up about the other computers and their connections.
My friend insisted on DSL, yet the only thing that loads faster is the pictures
ONCE HE CONNECTS....the connection speed to get to the page is virtually
identical to my 56k.

>and when the biggest
>factor controlling your phone line speed is the distance between you
>and your "central office" (aka a "CO" by the phone company - which
>is a phone company specific computer somewhere in your neighborhood
>and not necessarily in a building that has people in it and all that
>stuff).

Most DSL companies no longer quote 1750 feet as the acceptable distance...now
they usually say 550 feet instead. DSL is a failed bit in my mind, They are all
swimming in constant complaints and cancellations, hence the huge push to offer
free months up front and such. I'll never try it again personally...I'm waiting
for AT&T cable internet to get to our area. The best thing you can do for your
dial up is a new phone line...I connect at 52k most of the time. Costs me
$25+$10 a month for EV-1....that $35 is still $15 cheaper than DSL or Cable and
with a clean line it's pretty fast (except loading pictures pages)

Now, why won't the damn phone company let the lines take more than 53k?...same
reason cars can't use alternate fuels...there are powerful legislations at work
here...mostly payoffs and lobbyists against it so the DSL providers have
something to do. Imagine if they lifted the speed to 112 or 256k....DSL would
cease to exist...we might never see the lifting of that ceiling.

Kelly & Jana Hanna
HannaWoodworks
ClassicChevyCountry