[mswindowsxp] Re: slow bootup and logon

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:41:55 +0100

Hello again!

Well, SP3 does replace quite a few files and the disk could get more or less
fragmented again. Also you might need more than one run with the defragger to
actually see a difference.

You might want to try a little program called "xp_remove_hotfix.exe" in order
to clean up some of the hotfix-backups WUP installs, and then run defrag
again. It might speed things up a bit. See
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm for more info. Please
note that you won't be able to uninstall some of the hotfixes if you run this
cleaner-applet!

As for defraggers the built-in Windows defragger is a bare-metal defragger
with little or no frills at all. You might be better of with eg Raxco's
PerfectDisk. I use it myself, with good results. The initial defrag will take
a looong time, but the next ones will be faster. I believe they have a
trial-version if you want to give it a go. See http://www.perfectdisk.com/home
for more info on this program.

Some antivirus software doesn't play well with SP3, but I think most of those
problems have been fixed, if you use a recent antivirus solution.

A poor-mans turbo-charge for a computer is to set the pagefile to a static
size, ie the minimum size should be the same as the maximum. This way Windows
won't spend time dynamically resizing your pagefile every now and then.
Generally speaking the pagefile size should be about two times the amount of
RAM you have installed; eg 1GB RAM > 2GB pagefile, 2GB RAM > 4GB pagefile and
so on.

On a slightly different track, how much RAM do you have in your computer? How
much free space do you have on your (single?) harddrive?

HTH.
--
/Sorin