[mswindowsxp] Re: msinfo32.exe & Help and Support Center won't launch

  • From: Joe Parker <joeparker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:40:41 -0400

Help service you don't need; disable it. Uninstall all of Norton
Systemworks except for their nice Antivirus - the rest is useless and often
troublesome.

When a lot of different programs begin to become corrupted I worry about
hardware, not a virus. Run a thorough chkdsk from the command line in
verbose mode and study everything it says for clues. Run a SMART test on
the drive (freeware at http://powerappz.tripod.com/downloads.htm ). Run the
disk manufacturer's test utility (available at their website).

Even if all those test good, if files were still getting corrupt I might
install a new disk anyway.

PS System Restore doesn't ever seem to help much. Seemed like a great idea
back on the Win98 days, but I'm on the verge of disabling it with NTFS/WinXP.