[mswindowsxp] Re: home networking issue

  • From: "Robert T. Repko (R Squared Consultants)" <rtr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:12:32 -0400

Believe it or not at 3/16/2010 07:14 PM, Mike Rouillard said:
Hello,
I have a home network with a wireless router, a desktop wired to the router, and a wireless laptop. I cannot ping the desktop from the laptop by hostname, but I can ping it by IP address. When I go to the run box, I can type \\hostname\c$ and I can view the harddrive. When I try to view the laptop's harddrive with the same command from the desktop, it doesn't work. What can I do?
Thanks!
Mike Rouillard

It sounds like a DNS issue.
Is your router configured to pass traffic through or is it configured to hand out IP addresses, and perform NAT/PAT, to the wireless clients (is DHCP running).

* Robert T. Repko         *
* R Squared Consultants   *
* 4 Juniper Ave.          *
* Easton, PA 18045        *